Friday, November 21, 2008

Grandma

I lost a good friend yesterday...my grandmother. She was 87 years old and had lived a wonderful life, surrounded by the people she loved and with the dignity she has always shown, she finally let go.

Grandma was the type of person that had eternal patience. She put up with all of the snotty grandkids, her love and kind way was all she needed to keep us in line. She never raised her voice, and gave the best hugs :-))

My favorite memories of her were in the summer..she had a back porch that was covered in plants and she had hummingbird feeders...we would sit out there for HOURS and just sit quietly and the birds would come and go...never bothered by us being there....the wind would always make the wind chimes jingle.....to this day everytime I hear a wind chime I think of grandma. I was not a child to sit still, but I always found myself at peace there...sitting with her and saying nothing....quiet and still....just the way it should be.

She was such a child at heart...always laughing at all of us playing, she would watch cartoons with us from dawn to dusk and not just because she HAD to...but because she wanted to!

She never met a stranger...always gave hugs, held hands and NEVER missed a moment to show affection. Always in the moment and EVERYONE knew without a doubt she loved them. The first time she met my husband, she gave him a HUGE hug...it caught him off guard---her hugs were ALWAYS the kind you get from a person you are closest to.....she would hug you with such love in her heart...you know that kind of hug...the warm and fuzzy ones :-))) Even until the end she was reaching out to everyone, the nurses, all of us, her sons, her husband.

She and grandpa adored each other...they were soul mates, married for 65 years and what an amazing marriage it was. I hope my marriage is as strong as thiers. Watching him kiss her every single time he had to go home, not wanting to leave her. That devotion was always so apparent--they never hid it, or tried to be hush hush...everyone knew they were in love. Did they ever disagree, sure! But no matter what, they were husband and wife.

Grandma brought out the best in me, made me want to be a better person, want to be more like her. Devoted, caring and enjoying all that life has to offer. I am sure I will fall short of that, but I know she is looking down on me to guide me through life.

Someday I will see her again. I love you Grandma.

4 comments:

EmilyHurt said...

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Unknown said...

I am sorry!

Carrie said...

Hi Loretta,

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

Carrie

Loretta Mueller said...

Thanks Ladies--she was a wonderful lady.