Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WOW January!!!!

This month has been INSANE!!! I know, I say that a lot. But this month has already been a really fun start to 2014 :)

I head off to North Carolina for 3 days of teaching this coming weekend :) Looking forward to working with everyone! The fun part about coming back to the same place each year is I get to see the huge changes in the teams. Just wonderful!

I LOVE teaching...I really do. It's the most challenging and rewarding thing in my life.

There seems to be similar questions across the board in regards to seminars...so I thought I would answer a few of them. I am just speaking for myself (as that's all I really can do) but I do believe other seminar presenters would say close to the very same things.

1--The seminar presenter expects you to know everything already...
Why would you be there if you knew it all? I don't have those kinds of expectations...we expect learning to happen. If there is no learning, I'm not doing my job!
 
2--If I don't have a Border Collie/sheltie/etc etc, I am not welcome at a seminar...
I love working with all dogs, ALL DOGS, I don't care if it is Bassett hound, a Whippet, a Border Collie, whatever! It's DOG training :) Not "insert breed that is PERFECTLY suited for agility"...really :) I love all dogs...why I do what I do. Why I have so many approaches to different situations. Dogs that haven't been bred to work with humans need something else than a dog that worships the ground we walk on. It's not better or worse, it just is :)

 
3--I don't want to be on the World Team...so is it worth me even going?
Of course it is! Do you want to be able to communicate with your dog better? Become a better trainer? Then YES! A VERY SMALL sector of the agility community actually wants to aspire to be on a World Team! And lets be honest (having a husband on two World Teams this year!) ITS PRICEY! Goals are goals...I want to help you get there :) So you can tackle them and move onto bigger goals for YOUR team!!

4--I have to be able to run to be in a seminar, I have (bad hips, bad knees, bad ankles, fast dog etc etc). 

I don't agree with that. A good clinician will be able to work with each team's strengths and help with their weaknesses. I want people to be able to improve their communication with their dogs...that's my goal. Regardless of what your speed is.

Of course there are some presenters that mesh with individuals moreso than others...that is a personal choice. But I do think seminars are a wonderful place to learn.

If you are hesitant to try a seminar...I would suggest at least auditing one...This way you can get an idea of how this particular person teaches and how they adapt to every team :)

Speaking of seminars, Lynn and I will be flying to Florida mid month to work with the One Mind crew! A working spot opened up and I took that opportunity! I am looking forward to being able to learn from them and find out more about their training! Feeling very lucky!

I also got the news recently that I will be the Assistant Coach for the IFCS World Team! Very excited to be helping Team USA however they need me! Going to be a fun fun time in the Netherlands!

Here's to a great 2014 so far!!!

1 comment:

Diana said...

So happy you got a working spot!!! It looks like a awesome seminar to go to. Have fun!