Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ahhhhhhh....

I don't always have the most "traditional" way of teaching. I can be hard to please and it takes a lot to impress me...I would not be the person you come to when all you want me to say is "what a nice dog you have".

Why? I want to make you a better handler, your dog more excited about agility, help you work on weaknesses and I can't just sit there and say you are perfect...no one is and if I went to a lesson and I got that feedback, well I would NOT be back...

So sometimes my students hear things that probably make them want to throw something at me :) It hasn't happened yet (knocking on wood) but they all understand that I am doing it for their own good...or at least to my face they seem to :) Yet they keep working hard and realize I just have a really big mouth :)

Now...to my real post...My students are amazing, they listen and work hard, they apply things I have taught them and I have to say I am damn proud of them. They take what I say to heart (even if it isn't what they want to hear) and run with it :)

I don't sugar coat anything...but I also don't hide anything and if you ask me a question, expect an answer.

HOWEVER there are positive sides to this...when I give a compliment it is genuine. If I am impressed I am GENUINELY impressed. When something knocks my socks off I let EVERYONE know it :) I have teared up during lessons, I have gotten goosebumps, I have jumped up and down screaming and hugging (and those that know me know I do NOT hug much!!!)...I LOVE it when my students show me all they can do!!!!!

This week has been an amazing week in teaching for me...I gave some really difficult stuff to my students...and they ALL knocked my socks off...working through problems, coming up with some AMAZING answers. I was just amazed.

Things that they take for granted now, I remember what it was when I first met each and every one of them...how far they have all come...they all trusted me to help them, to follow my advice and to really put the work into it...

This week I got to really see what all my students are made of...WOW...I have some amazing students :)

1 comment:

Debra Kay said...

I bet you are a great teacher-if you don't give the student's new insight, well, that's what you are there for.